Friday, August 6, 2010

Thing 4 - You Tube

Uploading a video to You Tube was so much easier than I would have ever thought!! I uploaded a video I made last year to show off the entries into our Pumpkin Decorating Contest. This was fun! I have used You Tube and Teacher Tube many times during instruction. Online video sites have advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: Great way to have access to videos anywhere there is Internet access. There are many great educational videos available for use. I especially loved the Library of Congress You Tube channel! This is also a great venue for students to post their work. I think students love to see thier work posted online. In the past I have posted student work on my library web page. Students LOVE to see their work online and are eager to share with family and friends.

Disadvantages: The main disadvantage I see is helping students remain safe when online. Allowing open access to YouTube for elementary students is not, in my opinion, a responsible decision for educators. Of course TeacherTube is a much more reliable option.

Here is my video:

No comments: