Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tool 4

Google Docs is something I started using last year, especially with students. I created and shared documents with student that contained directions and links for projects. Students in turn were able to share documents with me too! I like the easy collaboration features of Google Docs versus emailing documents back and forth. I also love the chat feature of Google Docs. This could be very useful if a group of students were looking at a document and engaging in a peer review. We did find that if several people are looking at the document at the same time, only one person at a time can edit. If multiple people are trying to edit at one time, then the changes are not all saved. Using the chat feature would allow students to discuss changes and options before making them.

I did explore more with Google forms. I created a form and sent it to a few teachers on my campus. Unfortunately they never received it. We discovered that the email from Google Docs informing them of the item I shared with them - specifically the link to the form - was getting caught in the spam folder. If the teacher didn't check the spam folder, then she never received the form. This could be a real problem when it comes to using forms. I am going to do a little more experimenting and see if I can pin down what is going on. I really like the idea of Google forms, but need to work out the kinks within the district email.

This year I am excited about trying to use Google forms and spreadsheets with students. I think this will be a great way to teach students how to gather information and collect results.

No comments: