Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tool 9

1. Why is it important to tie the activity to the objective?
This is key to everything we do! If we are not connecting the objective to our activities then we are just spinning our wheels! We are like a rudderless ship with no direction. There are lots of great activities out there, but to get the biggest bang for our buck with students, we need to make sure our activities are congruent with our objectives.

2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?
This is a mistake I myself have made as a teacher! When there is no accountability, then many times activities will turn into "play" or students may even not do them. Asking for accountability helps teachers know what skills students have mastered and where they are still struggling. Accountability also makes learning more meaningful for students.

I loved the interactive websites! My favorites were Learning Games for Kids, TESiboard, and Thinkfinity. I got a little carried away at these sites and played several games myself! I can see using many of these websites in library lessons and after lessons for exploration time.

I really enjoyed searching the Tools for 21st Century Learning Database! A fabulous resource that I have not utilized! I spent lots of time looking at apps and web tools and flipcharts! I appreciate that you have a form for submitting additional apps for approval! I am interested in learning more about the Colonial Williamsburg apps - Today in 1770 and Word of the Day. These will be great to use with 5th grade. I also want to learn more about the iTalk Recorder app and the Diigo Reader app.

In the library, since my time with classes is limited, when I am using the devices with a whole class, we usually have a predetermined activity. When students are using the devices on their own, I either give them suggestions (apps to try or start with) or they already know where and what they are supposed to do on the devices since they have an assignment from the teacher. One thing I have found to be beneficial for students, especially younger students, is to demonstrate how to use apps before turning them loose. I use my document camera and put an iTouch or an iPad under it and show them an app, what to do, and then let them try it. This gives them direction and purpose. Too many times we think all we have to do is give the students the devices and let them go because they will figure it out. A few of the students probably will, but most won't and they end up jumping from app to app very quickly because they can't figure out what to do. This wastes a lot of time. So, I spend time actually teaching them different apps and before you know it, they have a whole repertoire of apps that they know how to use and use effectively.

No comments: