Monday, March 10, 2008

Thing # 12 - Roll Your Own Search Tool

Rollyo is a very interesting little tool. Basically you can create your own customized search engine searching only the web sites you add. I created one on American Heroes for our second graders as they begin their research unit. I chose 5 websites for them to search and created a Rollyo. I put my search roll over in the side bar if you would like to try it out!

As far as uses in education go I can foresee many applications, specifically if you want students to only search specific websites. Older students could create their own search rolls for their own projects or they could even work together in groups and create search rolls and teach their class how to use them.

I see the advantages of this tool, but don’t know how much I will use it. I will definitely file this little jewel away until such a time as I may have a more pressing need. I wonder if you could add our online databases to this? I may have to try that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog I have seen from someone who graduated from WCS-DLU-VANDY-UofH(CLEAR LAKE).

My question on your own search tool is why would someone create their own search tool when Google already created one?

Please use small words on your answer.