Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thing #16 - Wikis

Ah Wikis! Finally something I am familiar with! Wikis are very useful tools for collaborative projects. I loved some of the wiki links provided by Library2Play. The one from the AASL conference was really web 2.0 at its best: the creating of a wiki at a conference during a presentation and as the final result of the presentation!
Another interesting one was the 10 grade English wiki. This is a perfect example of how a wiki can be used in a school setting - as a literature circle discussion.
Educational uses of wikis:
1. Book club discussions
2. Project planner, collaborator, and final project posting for students
3. Teachers to share resources
4. Teachers to create web pages
5. Students to create web pages
6. Create a page on samples of good writing
7. Chronicle a unit or special field trip
The possibilities are endless!

The question has been brought up as to when to use a wiki versus a blog. I recently read a great post on this from the SBISD EdTech Blog comparing wikis, blogs, and discussion boards. Check it out! Well done Kary!

2 comments:

The Man in the Middle said...

You asked about my gorilla. In the readings for Thing 16, Sample school WIKI, find Computer Class, then the buddy avatar. If he follows me home, can I keep him?

Your postings are much more coherent than mine. I get the impression you actually understand this stuff.

Just think, we are getting closer to # 23!

The Man in the Middle said...

You asked about the gorilla. This is the second time I will type this, the other one seems to be out in the ethernet with what is left of my sanity.

The gorilla is in the Sample school WIKI in the Thing 16 readings. Go to Computer class, then find Buddy Avatar. If he follows me home, can I keep him??