Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thing #19 - Web 2.0

Once again I am amazed and a bit overwhelmed at the number of 2.0 sites out there - and these are just the award winners! Many of the sites we have explored in our 23 Things were on the Award Winner list! Some others that I found interesting were:

1. Biblio.com - a website that lets you search for used, rare, & out-of-print books and purchase them from independent booksellers through their website. I looked up some of my favorite children's books that are out of print and found out where I could buy them!

2. Pandora - this one was just for me! This is a music website that sets up your own personal "radio" station. You put in a song or artist that you like and then Pandora creates a play list/radio station just for you with similar songs. Of course you can also buy the songs you like!

3. Listdump - If you love lists - this is a great one to check out! Basically you can go on and create a list or add to others' lists. There were list on best mountain ranges, best food websites, top ten tips for salary negotiations, etc. You can create your own list and have others add to it or rank the items in your list. I was thinking that this would be a good idea to use with students since creating lists is a writing genre. However, as I explored the site further I found some lists that were clearly adult in nature. So this site should not be used with students, but you could use the idea of creating lists with your students. Students could come up with a list title and then have their peers add to their list.

4. One Sentence - This is another great idea: write a true story in one sentence. You can add tags to your sentence and then others can rate it. Again I thought this would be another great idea to use with students, but once more I found some clearly adult sentences. So...the best thing to do would be to pull off some of the better one story sentences and use them as examples for your students and then let them write their own.

5. Fuzzmail - Again another fun one. I first saw this one on Happy Harping's blog. I tried it out myself and it is fun! You type in an email message and send it. When the message opens it types out the message you typed exactly as you typed it - same speed and including typos! It is fun. This would be a fun thing for students to use to be able to see how fast they are typing!

All in all - a fun place to play!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to try the fuzzmail with my kids...maybe I'll get an email back that way!

Wasn't that a fun bunch of stuff to look at!

Happy Harping said...

Hey Book Nook Girl ! I am so glad you like fuzzmail! I was just showing my #2 daughter fuzzmail and I sent her one. I sent one to my dad last night too! And, a link to my blog! Cool! You are doing a great job. All your comments are so well thought out, purposeful, educational and well written! You are almost there.