Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thing #15 - Library 2.0

I am a frequent user of my neighborhood public library and every time I drive into full parking lot and walk into the book/technology filled building bustling with people and activity I think to myself, "People who say libraries are antiquated and unused resources should come visit here!" In fact, I have had opportunities to visit many public libraries in my city in the past 5 years and I will tell you - they are always full of people and activity! To some extent I feel our libraries are on the 2.0 path already. I feel in my school district, our libraries are definitely on the 2.0 path! And thanks to our fearless leader, we are actually being drug down the path whether we want to go or not! (Most of us want to go!)

The video clip from this post was not something new to me. In fact I think this discussion of what kids are or are not learning in schools and universities and how that will apply to them when they get into the job force has been going on since I was in college - and that was awhile back! The truth is, the world is constantly changing, updating, and evolving. This is nothing new. I think we (education) do a good job teaching our students to be problem solvers and life long learners. We have to - that is the way of the world yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

A few points I would like to address from the articles I read:
1. In Rick Anderson's article "Away from the Icebergs", I would like to comment on 2 of his points. First, the "just in case collection." The discussion of books going away and being replaced by digital only reading has been going on for at least 10 years if not longer and I firmly believe that books are not going anywhere - at least not anytime soon! If you think differently just visit your local public library or your local Barnes & Noble or Borders. See how many people are in the store, how many people are in line to check-out or pay, and how many books are in their hands. Books aren't going anywhere. Now, I don't think we should build up collections for a "just in case" need. I never have thought that. In my own school library I take collection development very seriously. I spend a lot of time carefully choosing books and resources that meet the needs of my users but at the same time maybe introduce them to new things as well. It is a balancing act that every good librarian performs.
Second, the point he made on "reliance on user education" was right on target. We don't have the staff or resources to "teach" our patrons how to use difficult or highly technical resources, and believe me our patrons will already have found an easier solution, even if less accurate and reliable, to their research needs. Therefore, I fully agree that we need easy to use services that can be used without training.

2. In Michael Stephens article "Into a New World of Librarianship", he makes the point that Library 2.0 planning should be user-centered. I think is is interesting he feels it is necessary to say this. Shouldn't all library planning be user centered? If it hasn't been this way, then why not? Isn't that why we are in this profession?

3. Finally, I love what Dr. Wendy Schultz had to say in the article "To a temporary place in time...". Libraries are conversations and communities! Again, I challenge you to go visit your local public library and see what you will find - conversations and community! I especially love her thoughts on Library 4.0 : The Experience: "This will be the library for the aesthetic economy, the dream society, which will need libraries as mind gyms; libraries as idea labs; libraries as art salons. But let’s be clear: Library 4.0 will not replace Libraries 1.0 through 3.0; it will absorb them. The library as aesthetic experience will have space for all the library’s incarnations: storage (archives, treasures); data retrieval (networks—reference rooms); and commentary and annotation (salon)...the LIBRARY: a WiFREE space, a retreat from technohustle, with comfortable chairs, quiet, good light, coffee and single malt. You know, the library." It sounds divine, I want to go now!

No comments: