Friday, March 21, 2008

Thing #22 - Nings

This was something new to me - Nings! These are an interesting way to explore social networking through web 2.0. For safety and security reasons I have never been comfortable with sites like MySpace or FaceBook so, I appreciate the idea of creating your own social network and one ning I tried to visit was limited to invitation only, allowing for more security for those in the ning. Honestly, I can't see myself joining a ning. However, I did enjoy looking at several. One of the features that I liked are the specialization of nings. You can choose to join a specific group for a specific reason (i.e. librarians, knitters, etc.) On the TeacherLibrarian Ning, I like the videos and looking at the different groups. The Texas School Librarian one was very similar(photos, forums, videos), but not as many members or groups.

I did visit Nings.com and searched through some others. I found a good one for knitters with a link to a knitting website I had visited before. I also just browsed through some others. One thing I can see is that there is an enormous amount of people online!

I tend to agree with Ms. Frazzled on this one...I may have to create a second life to be able to keep up with all of these new 2.0 tools!

Wait...what is that I see? Is it the light at the end of the tunnel??!! I think I may have made it!!! On to Thing #23!

No comments: