Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thing #20 - You Tube & Teacher Tube

I had never really explored You Tube or Teacher Tube prior to Thing #20. My nephews however are proficient on You Tube! They love the Harry Potter puppet videos among other funny videos. Well after spending a couple of hours on these two sites, I now understand the allure! I started off my search for educational things like "libraries" and "Web 2.0", but before I knew it, I was watching video clips on Pride and Prejudice and other movies! I know I have said this before, but I am blown away by the sheer volume of content on these two sites! Amazing!

I will agree that much of what is on You Tube is not appropriate for elementary school students, but there are some good quality videos there and I appreciate the information on Zamzar as to how to save them into a different file format for use at school. Having said that, the video I chose to embed has little educational value, but great sentimental value! Cookie Monster at the Library!



Teacher Tube was definitely more educational in value! I do wish there was a way to search for videos by age (i.e. elementary, middle school, high school, professional). There may be a way, but I didn't find it. I did finally search the groups for elementary videos and found this one called "Science Detective". There is no audio on this video, but I think students would really like it and I thought this is a good idea for something students could create themselves. A good idea for our PGP kids!



Now that I have crossed the divide into You Tube and Teacher Tube, there is no going back! I will just have to make sure I spend as much time looking for educational videos as I do on other videos, such as the plethora of videos on Pride and Prejudice!

2 comments:

Terry said...

I like the Science Detective! Have to mull over how to use it...Ms. Frazzled was just talking about we all need a "second life" just to keep up with these web 2.0 tools like You Tube and Teacher Tube!

jenny said...

OMG! I love seeing cookie monster at the library! TOO CUTE!